Thursday, February 7, 2013

About dishonesty, being fake, and make-up

"Having extensions, wearing makeup, and dyeing your hair doesn't make someone fake. Lying, being dishonest, and being two faced does."

What makes a person "fake"?
Roseshock just tweeted this a while ago, and it really puts my personal opinion to words.

I just can't stand it when people think you are "fake" and "superficial" just because you like to wear make-up or fake nails or wigs or whatever.
I remember a discussion I was involved in a while ago, about younger and younger girls starting to wear make up, and the general consensus of almost everyone was that the cosmetics industry is evil for imposing their faux ideal on us and making as feel bad for what we "really" are. That the cosmetics industry is also creating a market for something that would otherwise not exist - because we would not "need" flawless skin if advertisements everywhere didn't manipulate us into thinking we need flawless skin.

While I understand the frustration about the general perception of beauty changing over time - with manipulated photos everywhere we tend to develop beauty standards that are incredibly difficult to uphold in real life - I absolutely do not agree with anything else they said. Because for some, make up is just another kind of art. It is a mean of changing your look, to match your current mood, to have fun, to express yourself, all kinds of things! It can be a hobby instead of a pseudo-necessity, and just as any hobby, of course it will consume your time and will cost money. But I see no bad in that - in general.

While I have severe self-esteem issues when it comes to my own face, and I felt very uncomfortable to walk around without a thick layer of make up covering the shadows below my eyes and my moles and freckles not too long ago, this is not the fault of the cosmetics industry. It is the fault of people around me, who treated me like a piece of shit and told me that I am ugly, simply because they didn't like me for some reason. The didn't insult me because I didn't fit to their standards back then. They didn't insult me because I didn't look like a supermodel. They didn't insult kids who had severe acne who sat right next to me. No, they chose to insult me instead - just because they were in the mood and I seemed to be a pretty convenient victim.

Okay, whatever happened back then is in the past now. The point is still, that the reason why I wear make up was never, not even back when I was absolutely terrified of the thought of leaving the house without camouflage even for five minutes, never ever anything the cosmetics industry showed or told me. I don't even like any of the brands that are "big" in industry and have a lot of advertisement. Because 99% of what they are trying to tell and sell you is utter BS. Like those ads for mascara with "false lash effect" clearly depicting immense amounts of false lashes on the models' eyes. Duh. Sometimes they are just exaggerating so much that it hurts to look at those ads.

It took me a lot to overcome this phobia of my own, make-up less face, but I did it. For the past 5 months, I went to work without anything but mascara and a little bit of eye brow pencil. No concealer to cover my flaws, no powder to look less shiny, not even wearing contacts. Of course I hated it, and I still do, mainly because I hate my glasses. But I made it, and I am more confident now that in my professional future (which will most likely also not allow me to wear any make up at work) I will also have no problem to be without make up at work.


But during this time I also really, really missed wearing make up. I missed playing with colors. I missed trying out new things or looks, sometimes inspired by the simplest things. I missed matching my eyeshadow with my nail polish and clothes. I didn't have a lot of occasions to go out and wear anything nice at all, which was the main problem, also I was so frustrated about my job that I got really depressed and didn't actually want to go out at all. But again - nothing of that was in any way influenced or caused by the stupid cosmetics industry. I just felt like one of my means of self expression had been taken from me. Just like during that time where I had a lot of unresolved issues dragging me down, and as a consequence I didn't draw anything for several years.

If I was really influenced by that industry - just look at those ads. Look at posters and Tv commercials from the "big brands". Do I look anything like that? Do I look like I want to look anything like that?!
No thanks, I'd rather pull out a bunch of colors that just pop into my mind and ad tons of black eyeliner because I love black eyeliner, and put on dramatic lashes to look more like a doll, or paint my face all over for fun.


The women you see in those ads are beautiful, but boring. Most of the looks in make up ads on TV or in magazines or wherever - at least in Austria - are very similar, and rarely anything I get excited about. 
On the other hand, when I check out facebook and see incredibly fantastic looks created and shared on the Sugarpill cosmetics page, that are probably deemed "unwearable" by a lot of people, and I love them. I adore the looks of "non-professional" Make up Artists such as Biohazardous Beauty and Rose Shock as well as people like Kami Zero, who are all just incredibly talented artists not giving a fuck about what's "wearable" or "not wearable" in other people's opinion. I read Jule writing on her blog how she got insulted because apparently somebody deemed her looks "not wearable" in daily life. And so many more who do not care for "mainstream" make up looks, and just do what they like. It is not the make up industry and their ads that influence me, inspire me and might even make me excited about a certain product. It's these people!

Are these people any less honest, any less nice to talk to, any less lovable just because they use make up as a form of art? Seriously?
Even if somebody just likes to doll themselves up a little bit or a lot, with fake lashes or hair extensions or circle lenses or whatever - why would that allow anyone to judge them? I tell you something about being superficial: It is superficial to call someone superficial because they put a lot of time and effort in their looks. You may not like how they look, because it might not be your specific taste or maybe you detest make up - well, that's okay. But stop judging these people, because first of all, it's none of your business how they decide to make themselves look like, and secondly, YOU are being superficial for judging their character based on their looks!

Personally, I do consider myself superficial - when it comes to myself. Low self esteem makes me want to try hard to be perfect in everything I do, so I feel less vulnerable. I like to wear make up because I get compliments when I wear it. I like to wear fake lashes because people are more likely to compliment my big eyes. I fucking photoshop my pictures because I want them to be as close to perfection as possible!



BUT!
I am not superficial towards others. I would never judge a person because of their looks! I don't care how people look - AT ALL. Of course there are people I consider "more beautiful" than others, because that's my taste. But I don't draw any conclusions to their characters based on that.


Like the quote in the beginning, I can only say: What makes you really fake, is when you preach water and drink wine. When you judge other people's character based on their looks, you are in no way better than what you claim them to be!

So, when it comes to me, I give you two opinions: get to know me, and then judge me, or just get the fuck off. Thank you for your attention.

5 comments:

  1. Danke, dass du deine Gedanken zu diesem Thema so ausführlich und treffend niedergeschrieben hast!
    Deine Ansichten decken sich genau mit den meinen... habe grad gesehen, dass Rose wohl auch einen Post zu diesem Thema geschrieben hat, den ich leider nicht verstehe. :,D Aber dort hatte sie auch ein Zitat, dass Menschen, die einen guten Charakter haben, einem als schön erscheinen; dass Schönheit also von innen kommt. Und es stimmt einfach! Selbst wenn ich jemanden optisch auf den ersten Blick nicht so ansprechend finde, kann ich an dieser Person im Laufe der Zeit schöne Dinge entdecken (ja, auch optisch), wenn die Person ein tolles Wesen hat.

    Mir wird auch oft vorgeworfen, dass ich mich verkleide", weil ich eben viele Piercings im Gesicht trage, oder mich vorwiegend schwarz kleide. Dabei mache ich das nicht, um einer Szene anzugehören, oder weil ich es "cool" finde oder so, sondern weil es das Einzige ist, was sich für mich gut und richtig und "nach mir" anfühlt.

    Ums nochmal auf den Punkt zu bringen: toller Post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Versuch mal ihren Post mit dem googel Übersetzer auf Englisch zu übersetzen! Funktioniert in diesem Fall eigentlich ganz gut und es kommt was verständliches dabei aus :D

      "(...) was sich für mich gut und richtig und "nach mir" anfühlt." Das beschreibt es einfach perfekt! :D Wichtig ist ja am Ende nur, dass man sich selbst in seiner eigenen haut wohl fühlt ^^

      Delete
  2. sehr schöner Post. Make-Up ist zum Unterstreichen der Personalität da, passend zum Anlass und zur Stimmung. Für mich perfektioniert Make-Up auch mein Outfit, es ist ein letzte Detail, dass alles noch schöner macht. Das hat nichts damit zu tun, dass ich etwas zu verbergen hätte.

    Was die Werbung angeht kann ich dir Recht geben. Hübsche Frauen, aber langweilige Looks. Man sieht höchstens mal rote Lippen. Einen Lidstrich. Das war's. Ich steh auf knallige Farben oder krasses Schwarz und ausgefallene Lidstriche und Fake-Lashes und und und... ^^

    Und ich finde, man kann auch kräftige Farben tagsüber tragen, man muss sie nicht für die Disko aufsparen. Wenn es zum Outfit passt trage ich sowas auch zum Shoppen oder einfach, wenn ich mich mit Freunden treffe. Warum? Weil ich es an mir schön finde, weil es mir Spaß macht, mich zu schminken und dann damit zufrieden zu sein. Gerade weil ich im Beruf keine krassen Farben tragen kann.

    Make-Up macht einen nicht "falsch", im Gegenteil. Es bringt mich näher an die Person ran, die ich in meinem Inneren bin und nach außen sein möchte. Du hattest das in einem Post mal so schön formuliert, da kann ich mich noch dran erinnern... Es war in etwas sowas wie: "Was wenn Make-Up und anders gefärbte Haare nun mal der Person näher kommen, als die ich mich fühle."
    Mein Aussehen ist nun mal ein Teil von mir. Und so wie ich mich benehmen darf wie ich will, so muss ich mich auch nach außen ausdrücken können.
    Und das muss eben nicht jeden gefallen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "because I hate my glasses" hast du schonmal über eine neue Brille nachgedacht? Ich mein, gab es irgendeine Art von Brillenmodell, das du an anderen Leuten meeega awesome fandest? Dann solltest du vielleicht solche Modelle mal an dir selber im Laden ausprobieren. So habe ichs gemacht und ich warte schon sehnlichst darauf, sie wieder tragen zu können. Seit 2 Monaten trage ich meine alte, weil die Bügel der neuen mit meinem Piercingwildfleisch kollidierten - das Piercing ist jetzt draußen und das Wildfleisch wird kleiner.

    Zu dem eigentlichen Inhalt deines Blogs muss ich nur sagen: yes! Du sprichst mir aus der Seele :) Ich finde mich ohne Makeup auch eher hässlich... also eigentlich wirklich hässlich. Aber das bin nunmal ich und ich muss mich nicht den ganzen Tag selber sehen, sondern die anderen müssen sich gruseln. Und bisher hab ich nur gehört "irgendwas ist anders... ah! wieso heute kein makeup?" und nie "schmink dich mal wieder, ist ja grausam." Wenn ich dann hände wasche und in den spiegel schaue... naja... aber meine Glasgeräte spiegeln nicht.

    übrigens gibt es 2 formen von texten, die ich nicht leiden kann: langer blocktext und englisch. deinen blog lese ich dennoch immer wieder. Du schreibst toll und ich kann es wunderbar flüssig lesen, außerdem lese ich es gerne, weil mich die Inhalte immer sehr berühren. Du trainierst sozusagen ein bisschen mein englisch, danke ^^ bleib so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, das ist ein echt tolles Kompliment für mich, vielen lieben dank! ♥

      Ich mochte meine alte Brille sehr gerne, aber hatte die Vermutung dass meine Hautprobleme mit dieser zusammehingen (sie hatte beim Mittelteil diese "Knubbel" nicht sondern lag direkt auf der Nase auf, und genau dort bekam ich dann immer Pickel usw.) daher ist meine jetzige Brille eine mit "Knubbel". Leider gab es kein Modell dass genauso war wie ich es wollte, aber grundsätzlich ist es schon okay. Der Hauptgrund warum ich meine Brille nicht mag ist aber, dass sie dank der dicken Gläser meine Augen extrem verkleinert und ich immer wenn ich Brille trage "müde" aussehe -_-
      Daran wird auch ein anderes Gestell nichts ändern - trotzdem wird meine nächste Brille wieder so wie die vorherige, weil ich mittlerweile festgestellt habe dass die Hautprobleme offensichtlich doch nicht mit der Brille zusammenh#ngen *seufz*

      Delete

Want to comment?
If you have no google+ account, you can use Open ID (for example with an URL of your twitter, homepage etc.)
Anonymous commenting is disabled, but feel free to contact me via ask.fm if you have no means of commenting here :)