Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Frrrrrozen!

Last Sunday my boyfriend and me spontaneously decided to go to  the cinema and watch Frozen, the new Disney movie. I honestly wasn't very interested in seeing it at first, but we saw a review video that made me optimistic that it could actually be a rather good movie. Minor spoilers ahead.

I tried to do a frosty look reminiscent of ice and snow. I don't usually wear such colors on my eyes because I somehow think they clash with my eye color, but this time I just wanted to try it. It really annoys me that I have no really opaque, matte white eye shadow, so I always have to put on a dozen layers before it looks remotely white. In the end, it's not really distinguishable from my skin color though, and is more like a pale rosy color. Gaaah.

I tried to take a picture with my DSLR and artificial light. Worked out semi-well.
But it glitters!



The movie played in a rather small theater and other than the two of us only two more people were watching it. I understand now why they offer so few movies in original version, but I think it's a pity. Personally I prefer to watch movies in the language they were made in, if I can. But in Vienna there are only two movies that play OV movies only, and they are a pain to reach by public transport, so it's sometimes a problem to catch the last train to get home after the movie etc. So we were glad that a big cinema nearby showed the OV too in this case.

The movie itself was quite okay, but not really that good in my opinion. I just wasn't very moved by the characters. Also, it was far too predictable what would happen, and the overly happy happy end kinda disappointed me too. Is it just me or were the older Disney movies somehow darker and also playing with more serious themes? Like in the Lion King, when Simba's father dies, it's quite early in the movie but nevertheless you're already emotionally attached to the character and can feel the grief and sorrow. In Frozen, only the parents of the two princesses die, and that didn't even make me feel sad because they were total idiots.

The movie somehow failed to evoke serious emotions in me. I liked that one scene where Elsa builds her snow castle on that lone mountain. That was the one scene were I could genuinely feel what the character felt. And okay, I also liked some of the jokes and the humor in general. Like the way Kristoff is making fun of Anna for deciding to marry a guy just after she met him. A fairy tale like movie making fun of fairy tale chlichés can be fun, of course. But I still feel the movie lacked depth and a kind of 'morale' or take home message, which fairy tales usually have.

In the review we saw before watching the movie, Elsa's character was described as a kind of metaphor for going through puberty and growing up. With the parents telling her her magic is a "bad thing" and she must not show it, she is desperate and scared, and when she finally gets the chance to use her powers freely when she is alone she is relieved and happy etc. But somehow this feels to me like a rather half-assed attempt to explain what's going on in the movie. Of course it could very well be that this is what the movie makers tried to convey, but the whole time I was sitting there, trying to figure out what the reviewer had meant with his puberty metaphor.
 My boyfriend, who has a younger sister explained to me that this is what it's like when you have younger siblings and puberty hits you and suddenly you don't know what to talk about with them anymore. You start to 'shut them out' because you have different interests now and don't really want to do childish stuff etc. As an only child, this completely went over my head and I didn't get that from the movie at all.

On the contrary, I got a quite different idea from the story and the relationship between Elsa and Anna.
Elsa is the 'odd one', with her powers that seem very bothersome to the parents. Anna, her younger sister, doesn't mind that her sister is 'different' and they enjoy playing together. But when an accident happens and Anna gets hurt, the parents blame Elsa. Consequently, they start to tell her that her power is bad, she is told to suppress it instead of being allowed to learn to control it, as was advised by the troll who healed Anna after the accident.

All that somehow reminded me of the way society and even parents treat children that are 'different'. Be it dyslexia or ADHS or any other kind of 'disorder' that a child has that might ask more than 'average' attention from their environment, society tends to label these things as bad, thus sometimes putting a lot of pressure on the kids. Imagine a dyslexic child that has problems reading and writing, yet is constantly shunned by their parents for their bad grades instead of getting help to improve or being approached with different learning methods. Or a child with ADHS - it's easy to imagine that a sibling gets hurt when children play, now imagine the overly active child gets all the blame for the accident and is consequently forbidden to play with their sibling and locked into their room.
That's why I think the parents in that movie were total idiots. Instead of helping their daughter Elsa they only thought about 'protecting' Anna and locked Else away, made her incredibly scared of her power, which led to a huge build up of sorrow and anger instead that made it even harder for her to control herself.

It's also reminiscent of the way society treats people with psychological disorders when they are grown up. Elsa is terribly afraid that anybody might find out about her secret, and it's her greatest fear to accidentally hurt someone. She is afraid to talk about it even to her sister, long after their parents are dead and her sister would deserve to find out why they are locked up in the castle at all times. It's like when people with depression or a form of neurosis are scared that other people will find out about their problem and shun them for it. Like when you have a big problem in your life that you don't know how to cope with alone, but you don't dare to ask anyone for help because you don't want to 'bother' anyone. This is what I saw in Elsa all the time.

That idea continued to strike me as fitting when she ran away and built her castle. For the first time she was free from her worries - similar to when you get some distance to the people you do not want to hurt with your problems. It sometimes give you the power to tackle and solve them on your own. Anna goes after her to bring her back, but Elsa feels like she can deal with her problems much better when she is alone. But Anna insists and in the very end, even sacrifices herself to protect her sister. At this point Else realizes that solitude is not the only option, because she still has her family, her sister, who really wants to help her, even now that she knows about her problem. It could be a metaphor for two ways how to deal with psychological problems or problems in general - either you choose solitude and shut everyone else out, which might hurt them. Or you try to confront your problems with their help, though in the process, the people who support you might get hurt as well.

I don't know why the movie made me think of this, but this is just the way I chose to interpret it because it makes more sense to me.

I also think that the whole story had some plot holes, just unanswered questions that kept on bugging me throughout the whole movie. At a certain point, I also got annoyed by the predictability of the end. It was clear what the 'act of true love' would be, it was clear who would get the girl, and so on. But I liked it that they tried to make the central relationship in the movie that between two sisters and not the typical prince and princess story.


All in all, the movie was okay I guess.
Visually it was totally stunning, without a question, and as someone who loves ice and snow a lot I was amazed by the detail and effort they put into conveying its beauty.
The movie is okay to watch, just not as good as I expected after the praise I heard in that review.


Have you seen the movie yet or do you plan to watch it?

5 comments:

  1. Wie toll ist das denn, dass man bei euch Filme in Originalsprache gucken kann?! Ich würd mir ja echt nen Keks freuen xD Und zum weißen Lidschatten: Pack dir vorher weißen Kajal, z.B. von Manhattan aufs Auge und dann machst du da den Lidschatten drauf. Wirkt wunder :'D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Das mach ich sowieso immer :) Nützt aber leider trotzdem nichts, zumindest ist es für meinen Geschmack einfach noch immer nicht weiß genug.

      Delete
  2. "All that somehow reminded me of the way society and even parents treat children that are 'different'. Be it dyslexia or ADHS or any other kind of 'disorder' that a child has that might ask more than 'average' attention from their environment, society tends to label these things as bad, thus sometimes putting a lot of pressure on the kids." Genau!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww die beiden Schneeflöckchen und auch wenn dir das nicht weiß genug ist, trotzdem wunderwunderwunderhübsches Make Up :3

    ReplyDelete
  4. ach hm, die neuen Disneys... bin auch nicht so der Fan, wobei Neu Verföhnt oder Küss den Frosch eigentlich gut waren.
    Frozen hat mich jetzt optisch so gar nicht angesprochen, deswegen lass ich es gleich bleiben.

    Dein Make-Up find ich toll :) passt super. Ich hab bei manchen Sachen auch lieber die Originalversion gesehen, manche deutschen Synchros sind auch grauenhaft :D

    ReplyDelete

Want to comment?
If you have no google+ account, you can use Open ID (for example with an URL of your twitter, homepage etc.)
Anonymous commenting is disabled, but feel free to contact me via ask.fm if you have no means of commenting here :)