Saturday, November 1, 2014

With a frozen Heart and a Soul on Fire

Hello little morsels, ehm, I mean, readers!

Halloween is already over, but I still want to show you some pictures I took last night of my makeshift "costume"!

Originally I planned to go to a party, my boyfriend even changed his shifts to have a free weekend to spend together. However, the host of the party fell ill so it was canceled. We decided to spend a cozy night at home instead, but I still wanted to try out my make up & costume as I had planned, and I even managed to get some almost-decent photos!



This year I didn't have time to practice my make up or anything before the 31st, so I really only made plans in my head how I wanted everything to look and improvised a lot. I had wanted to wear a Kuro Lolita outfit with my gray wig and red roses for a long time, but obviously in summer an all-black outfit is out of the question. Instead, I had at first planned to wear this look to the Halloween-themed Lolita meet up in Vienna but due to some family events I couldn't attend and thus changed my plans, and wore this as an actual Halloween costume.


In case you didn't notice the actual "costume" part of this Kuro Lolita outfit....

The lenses are GEO X-tra Bella Grey, btw

Vampire teeth!
I don't like to show my teeth, so I usually don't smile with an open mouth - the reason is that I am missing both upper lateral incisors. I never had them, I was just born with this case of allodontia and I suffered from crooked teeth and quite huge gaps in between for a long time. Even now with the teeth fixed and the gaps closed I don't really like my teeth, because when I smile it just looks awkward.

But for this costume, it was a perfect prerequisite. I used fake nails as vampire teeth and fixed them to my canines with actual denture adhesive creme, haha. I looked at many reference pictures here and mine ended up looking mostly like the "Lost Tribe" style. I really wanted to do something like the teeth in "Interview with a Vampire" but since I have a very narrow mouth you wouldn't see a lot of the second set of teeth anyway. Still, I am really considering getting Verneers or something like that one day because I think pointy teeth look really cool. And after all, my canines used to be pretty pointy to begin with - until one of them broke two years ago, now it's only one pointy tooth, haha.


Here's another closeup of the make up. I used my favorite upper lashes as lower lashes and I really love the dramatic effect. I never thought they would fit so well, but I think it really works with that look.

The reason why I was even able to take such photos late at night is that we recently bought some non-professional lighting equipment, that is, we bought two >1000W - actually they're construction site lights but who cares, as long as they're really super bright! Also, they are LEDs, so they are environmentally friendly! The light is rather cool and really very bright, so I can finally take some well-lit photos even after sundown and in the darker season of the year. However, I'm currently having lots of problems with my camera. I'm having huge problems to get sharp, nice looking images. I used the two lights plus the inbuilt flash for the first two photos (plus the normal light in that room, though it's rather yellowish and I'm considering changing it*), to provide enough light to allow a small aperture and ISO setting, but the photos still turned out rather blurry and pixelated. Even worse, using the camera flash I can't set the shutter speed as short and the ISO as low as I want to have it; I guess it's because the camera thinks if it's so dark I need a flash, I shouldn't use shorter exposure time and ISO. But in fact I use the flash to provide an additional light source from the front, so I reduce the overall shadows in my face! As a result, I end up with overexposed (due too slow shutter speed for all the light), pixelated (due to the ISO) and somehow even blurry photos!

It's seriously driving me mad, and I thought getting the additional light sources would fix it. If any of you have some advice on how to get better photos in my situation, I'd be really grateful for any help I can get! Because currently, I'm really considering just giving up on photography and just taking all of those photos with my cell phone camera in the future (which actually does a quite decent job, like in the last picture above!)....

But enough photo talk :)

Did you have fun on Halloween? Did you dress up and go to a party or event?
Show me your costumes, leave a link! ^^



* I can't be the only person who thinks yellow light sucks and who's really annoyed that now that we have LED technology, which would actually provide nice and white light, companies are modifying LED bulbs so that they give yellow, supposedly "warm" light! Who the fuck decided that yellow light is the standard? Why does everything have to have a sick, yellow tint to be considered "warm" or "cozy" or whatever? I don't get it!

22 comments:

  1. Almost decent? ALMOST DECENT? HNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG. These pictures are incredible. Don't you "almost decent" on us!

    Sadly I have no idea what is wrong with your camera settings... maybe using another mode..?! I am not too sure if that would help, though. :(

    My Halloween was rather boring! I shut myself away from the world because I didn't want to go to any club to celebrate Halloween there. I would have loved to bake some Halloween-Cupcakes with my best friend and watch some 90s trash-horror-movies. But well... I had no chance to do so, so I just ... I don't even know anymore what I did xD Hahaha. Next year will be better though, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ♥
      Aww, it's a shame you didn't get to celebrate Halloween the way you wanted to! But next time for sure :D I hope I will have a chance to go to a proper party next year too! XD

      Delete
  2. Dein Make-up und Outfit sind fantastisch! Ich hoffe, das kommt jetzt als Kompliment an, aber ich finde, du kannst so dramatische Looks wahnsinnig gut tragen! *-*

    Bei der Kamera bin ich mir auch nicht sicher, wie du das beheben kannst, da wir nicht dieselbe haben. Hast du einen "M"-Modus? Mit dem solltest du eigentlich ISO, Belichtungszeit und Blende manuell einstellen können, unabhängig davon, ob der Blitz an ist oder nicht. Denn deine Baustrahler alleine klingen schon danach, als könntest du locker ohne Blitz ein scharfes Bild knipsen können. Das ist echt Mist, dass deine Kamera da nicht mitspielt :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, den manuellen Modus verwende ich schon. Und genau da habe ich das Problem, dass ich eben aus irgendwelchen Gründen die Belichtunsgzeit und Blende, wenn ich den Blitz mitverwende, nicht einstellen kann (bzw nur bis zu einem bestimmten Wert aber nicht darüber hinaus!).
      Ich hatte schon während des Australienurlaubs einige Probleme, aber da dachte ich ursprünglich es liegt am Objektiv meiner Mutter dass ich mir ausgeborgt hatte (war ein Tamron und kein original Nikon) :( Naja ich werde vllt mal sehen ob ich dazu irgendwelche Infos finde, vielleicht liegts am Model oder ich übersehe irgendwas XD

      Danke jedenfalls, ich sehe das als absolutes Kompliment ^__^

      Delete
  3. Haha, mich ärgert dieses komische gelbe Licht auch immer....ich weiß nicht, warum manche Menschen halbdunkel-gelb als angenehm empfinden? Ich bevorzuge es, meine Umgebung zu sehen^^

    Bilder von meinem Halloween"outfit" hab ich keine aaaber vom Make-up :D
    http://lessandes.blogspot.co.at/2014/11/halloween-series-ronan-accuser-inspired.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich verstehs einfach nicht :'D In meinem Elternhaus waren auch alle Wände pastellgelb und ich durfte meine Wände nicht reinweiß streichen weil das so eine "kalte" Farbe ist. Jetzt in meiner eigenen Wohnung ist alles weiß und ich fühl mich viel wohler und ich finds gemütlicher :D Und heller ist es auch einfach ^^

      Delete
  4. Wahnsinns Makeup, du siehst umwerfend aus! (*´ ˘ `*).。oO ( ♡ )
    Ich hoffe, du bekommst deine Kamera richtig eingestellt. Ich schließe mich da Frau Llama an.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankeschön ♥
      Ja, ich denke wenn ich mal die Zeit hab werd ich mich einlesen bzw durch google wühlen. Vielleicht überseh ich auch irgenwas total banales, irgendeine Einstellung die ich noch vornehmen müsste XD

      Delete
  5. Really beautiful! I love all about your outfit, makeup and hair *-* just perfect

    ReplyDelete
  6. Das sieht unglaublich toll aus!! Steht dir total gut und es ist so gut gelungen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tolles Kostüm! Richtig schöne Fotos, steht dir auch gut :)
    welche Lichter habt ihr denn gekauft? Waren die arg teuer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke dir! ^_^

      Wir haben so Baustellen-Leuchten gekauft, 2 Stück. Eine entspricht ca einer 1000W Halogenlampe. Gekostet haben sie jeweils ca 40€ im Baumarkt. Allerdings musste man sie noch selbst verkabeln, und wir haben noch keine Stative dafür - das kommt also noch an Arbeit und Kosten dazu.

      Delete
  8. Wahnsinns Kostüm! Und um die Lichter beneid ich dich, werde ich in meine zukünftige eigene Wohnung aufjedenfall auch zulegen (im Winter Fotos im Zimmer zu machen ist einfach mies D:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankeschön! :D
      Ich hab lange überlegt wie ich die Licht-Situation verbessern kann, aber so Profi-Fotografen-Zeug wollte ich mir dann auch nicht zulegen, nur um Outfits zu knipsen XD Die Lampen sind schon eine ganz gute Lösung - wenn ich jetzt noch wüsste was ich bei den kameraeinstellungen falsch mache wäre ja alles kein Problem D:

      Delete
  9. Wow, ich liebe dein Outfit und vor allem das Make up dazu! *_*
    Wundervoll umgesetzt und das mit den falschen Nägeln als Zähne ist eine super Idee, ich wollte mir eigentlich auch Vampirzähne einsetzen, bin aber beim Festkleben der falschn Zähne gescheitert.

    Falls du schauen möchtest, hier ist der Link zu meinem Halloween Post: http://zhenyachan.blogspot.de/2014/11/halloween-2014.html

    Liebe Grüße
    Zhenya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankeschön! ^__^
      Ja, also das festkleben fand ich auch fies XD Vor Allem wenn der Kunstnagel eine andere "Wölbung" hat als der Zahn ist es schwer. Ich hatte glaub ich Glück dass es ganz gut auf meine Eckzähne gepasst hat, ich konnte sogar sprechen damit, aber nach einer Weile sind sie nach und nach verrutscht... dennoch, für ein paar Fotos reicht es allemal, und bei einer Party müsste man dann halt immer wieder nachkleben oder so. Vielleicht lag es auch an der Haftkreme die du verwendet hast?

      Delete
    2. Ja, für eine lange Party (vor allem beim Essen und Trinken) sind die sicher schon etwas unpraktisch. ^^'
      Ich habe es mit dem beiligenden Kleber versucht, werde beim nächsten Mal auch einfach Haftcreme testen. :)

      Delete
  10. Wahnsinn. Mit dem Outfit wärst du der absolute Oberhammer auf meiner Party gewesen. Schade, dass aus deiner Party-Einladung nichts geworden ist. Hättest ja bei mir vorbei schauen können. ;) Hoffe du hattest trotzdem einen schönen Abend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, naja im Nachhinein ist man immer schlauer ;D
      Wir hätten sogar spontan noch Einladungen bekommen woanders hinzugehen, waren dann aber auch nicht mehr wirklich motiviert (zumal wir zuvor schon ein paar Stunden bei Ikea und im Baumarkt verbracht haben XD )
      Aber vielleicht ja nächstes Jahr? :D Würde mich auf jeden Fall freuen mal auf einer deiner legänderen Halloweenparties zu Gast sein zu dürfen, hehe ^^

      Delete
  11. I can't decide what I like best. The dress? The eye make up? Or the idea to use fake nails as vampire fangs? :D
    Anyway, I bet nobody would've guessed that this is "just" improvised. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Want to comment?
If you have no google+ account, you can use Open ID (for example with an URL of your twitter, homepage etc.)
Anonymous commenting is disabled, but feel free to contact me via ask.fm if you have no means of commenting here :)