Sunday, July 26, 2015

Summer depression or something

Hey there,

I was thinking about whether I should post this or not for a long time, but I feel like it will help me to get my thoughts "out there", so I decided to post it after all... If you don't wanna read my ranting please just ignore this post!

So yesterday was actually  really cool event in Vienna - the first ever J-fashion walk as part of the international Harajuku Fashion Day! It's been a really long time since the last J-fashion meet up, and there were so many people dressed in different styles, it was really cool! I got to know some new people and also saw some well-known faces again. After I couldn't go to any Lolita meet ups since March or so, it made me really happy to have an opportunity to dress up and wear some make up, too .... but this is not what I actually wanna talk about today, though I hope there will be some photos soon so I can show you some.


Instead, I wanna share my thoughts on a few things - I really thought a lot about my hobbies and especially Lolita lately, and it has become increasingly frustrating to live my life like this. Of course, a career in science is by default not exactly easy. There are no clear working hours, you might spend weeks doing the same assay that just won't work, you might spend months on something that ends up not working as intended or not at all. It is in itself a kind of job that requires you to have a high tolerance to frustration and so it takes, in my opinion, a lot of effort to stay motivated.
And I can somehow manage that - I do get up every morning, I go to work, I do what I have to do and more. My two major objectives in life at the moment are work - because I wanna finish my thesis as soon as possible - and getting at least 8h of sleep at night, because I can't concentrate if I don't sleep enough, which is fatal in the lab....

So, between roughly 9-10h work per day, 8h sleep and let's say 1h cycling to and from work in total per day, you can guess that there's not much free time left.
And it drains me so fucking much. I never would have thought that I would ever be too tired to watch a stupid movie on the sofa at night. "Let's rather watch some series because the episodes are shorter". Because I just can't keep concentrated. I never would have thought that I would be too tired to even turn on my computer and procrastinate before I go to bed, let alone play any games at all. All I can do is lie on the sofa and feel brain dead before I go to bed and prepare myself for another day just like that.

It's getting pretty depressing, not because I don't love my job but because I fell like I can physically not keep this pace up anymore. Not because I don't want to. Not because I'm not motivated. Rather because I am tired all the time and so, so sad that I can't get myself to do anything fun because I'm too tired. And when there's three week ends in a row filled with family events or other important stuff, and maybe even having to work some extra hours, I feel so dead inside I can barely show any kind of emotion anymore. I am hot unhappy, I feel just totally dead.
And then I always end up running into people (real life or online) who end up telling me one way or another that science is bullshit, because science couldn't save their husband from dying from cancer, or that big pharma wants to kill us all, or that we're all just a bunch of sadistic animal murderers...

It. Is. So. EXHAUSTING.

A few years back, I was imagining how great it would be when I'd have a real job, maybe even paying roughly 4 figures, having my apartment and being able to afford nice stuff once in a while, and not having to turn over every stupid cent thrice to be able to afford gas for my car at the end of the month.  Now I have a job that pays (which I have to be grateful for because for many people, their undergrad positions don't!), I have this apartment, I have all reason to be happy, yet I'm again in the situation where I am constantly freaking out that something might happen to the car, or the aparment, or me or my boyfriend or the world or whatever else, and I just cannot bring myself to buy ANYTHING with good conscience. I have a bad conscience for buying expensive food. I feel bad for spending money on nail polish remover because I ran out, because it's an unnecessary luxury that I could live without easily, because I could just not paint my nails. I feel bad for spending time on dying my hair that I could also spend doing something more useful for others. I feel bad for feeling bad about myself because it shouldn't matter how I look, only what I do. So I hate myself for being superficial, desiring a certain dress, wishing to put on nail polish, being sad that I had to cut my hair and being depressed that I have such a hard time losing weight.
BECAUSE NO ONE FUCKING CARES ANYWAY. Right?

It's hard to understand, I guess, but I suppose this is how it feels to be depressed. I'm not going so far as to call it a depression, and it is far from the worst "downs" I've so far had in my life, but it is hard. My thoughts and worries, my anxiety, my inner demons make everything so terribly hard that I feel like I'm drowning and just barely managing to keep my head above water most of the time, and I'm far from ever finding the strength to be able to swim back to shore.


So once in a while I think of way to cheer me up. But I can think of none. Of course, I could buy that dress that I wanted, and then I would look at it longingly. put it in the wardrobe and now wear it for months if not years, because there is no occasion anyway. Of course, I could try to take even better care of my body so at least I'm physically healthy - but after not eating any sweets and going 10km by bike every day and not feeling ANY kind of change at all, one has to wonder what that effort is worth. Of course, I could spend my free time surrounded with friends and family and being cheerful and enjoying summer. If it wasn't for the fact that with the recent heat wave I get all kinds of physical ailments like rashes and allergic reactions. I know I'm in a bad mood, so I don't wanna have anyone around me usually, for fear of dragging them down with me. My boyfriend - well I can't protect him from that anyway because we live together, and it makes me feel even worse.

At the moment, I am seriously doubting my life choices. I wonder if I'd be happier if I had studied something else and had gotten a different job. If I'd be happier with a 9-5 job that pays moderately well and allows me to buy nice things once in a while and still have enough free time for my hobbies. If I'd be happier if I had went on an entirely different route and pursued an artistic career - or if I'd just miss science then?
I don't know. But I feel so sad and empty right now that I can't help but wonder about these things.
I just wish I could do more of the things that I love - and not have the feeling that I suck at all of them anyway.

In the end, maybe it's just my usual summer depression. Maybe it will just get better when the weather gets more humane again. Currently we have a heat wave and for the past two weeks or so there was barely a night with <25°C and a day with <30°C.

Ultimately, I just wonder how other people do it.
How do you manage to lead happy lives?
Cope with all the things you HAVE to do and still have time for things you WANT to do?
Justify what you want in front of others without feeling bad about doing something just for yourself, your own enjoyment and fun...?

I can't. I feel like I don't deserve to treat myself, especially now when I don't manage to do what I have to do, especially now. And I just wonder when it happened that I somehow forgot how to love myself and be happy.

8 comments:

  1. Ein "happy life" hab ich leider auch nicht, es ist eher so als würde ich im Moment leicht betäubt durch die Gegend dackeln. Es hat seine Vor- und seine Nachteile. Ich versuche mich irgendwie mit neuen Sachen aufzuheitern und gebe eigentlich viel zu viel Geld für sowas aus. Dabei macht es mich kurz glücklich die neuen Sachen aus dem Paket oder aus der Tüte auszupacken und dann ... wars das.

    Hilft es vielleicht, wenn du dir deine alten Science-Posts nochmal durchliest? Vielleicht kommt damit die Leidenschaft für Science wieder und du erinnerst dich wieder, warum genau du diesen Lebensweg gewählt hast.

    Ich wünsch dir ganz viel Kraft <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Das Problem ist ja nicht dass ich die Leidenschaft für den Job nicht mehr habe.... wobei es mir schon auch an die Nieren geht wenn ich ständig den Stuss von komplett anti-wissenschaftlichen Leuten lesen muss, quasi Menschen der Meinung sind mein beruf ist absolut wertlos und meine Arbeit hat keinen Nutzen (das sagen Menschen ja sonst nichtmal über ne Putzkraft oder einen Praktikant der Akten sortiert und Kaffee kocht).
      Es ist nur so dass ich mich dadurch alleine noch nicht erfüllt fühle, und deswegen gehen mir all die anderen Dinge und Hobbies so sehr ab, für die ich früher viel mehr Zeit hatte (wie zeichnen oder schreiben oder Make up usw). Vielleicht wird das auch besser wenn mein Projekt wieder in einer besseren phase ist bzw. ich endlich meinen master abschließe, aber das dauert vermutlich noch bis Ende des Jahres, was auch bedeutet dass ich wenn die Graduate School beginnt erstmal schlechter verdiene - was wiederum bedeutet dass ich erst recht ein schlechtes Gewissen habe wenn ich mir mal gerne was gönnen würde.... es ist einfach eine etwas demotivierende Situation im Moment :(

      Delete
  2. Hast du schonmal darüber nachgedacht professionelle Hilfe zu holen und Medikamente zu nehmen? So wie du das beschreibst - dieses unendliche "tired" - so ging es mir auch bevor ich Medis genommen habe. Damals im Abi (und ja, das ist lächerlich) habe ich mir so viel Druck gemacht wegen den bescheuerten Klausuren, dass mein Körper komplett durchgedreht ist. Hatte plötzlich Ausschläge überall, hatte Fieber, hatte Mandelentzündungen (obwohl ich keine Mandeln mehr habe), hatte Blasenentzündungen. In der ersten Phase der Klausuren an der Uni ging es genauso weiter. Dann habe ich mir Hilfe gesucht und seitdem sehe ich alles so viel gelassener. Mir geht es gut, auch wenn ich im Stress bin.
    Ich weiß, die Medis werden die demotivierende Situation nicht in Luft auflösen lassen können, aber vielleicht kannst du damit dann einfacher umgehen. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich habe sogar schon oft darüber nachgedacht, aber es ist einfach so verdammt schwer Hilfe zu bekommen :(
      Ich war ja schon mal in psychologischer Behandlung, was aber einfach nicht genug war (die paar Stunden die ich von der KK bezahlt bekam reichten gerade mal für eine "Anamnese" wenn man so will, von einer Therapie o.Ä. weit entfernt). Vor Medikamenten habe ich allerdings auch ein bisschen Angst. Mir geht es körperlich so schon nicht so gut, hab ja die Schilddrüsenunterfunktion, und ich habe unheimliche Angst vor Nebenwirkungen - dass es alles nur noch schlimmer macht, ich vllt. zunehme und dann meinen Körper auch noch mehr hasse D:
      Daher fällt es mir im Moment echt schwer mir Hilfe zu suchen, auch wenn du wahrscheinlich recht hast und es der richtige Weg wäre...

      Delete
  3. Ich kann dich so gut verstehen. Es geht mir tatsächlich im Moment ganz genau so. Zwar sind es bei uns verschiedene Ursachen, aber das Ergebnis ist das Gleiche. Ich könnte zu Hause einfach nur noch schlafen und ich kann mich zu nichts mehr aufraffen. Es ist so schade, da mir meine Hobbys eigentlich immer die Kraft gegeben haben, die ich so dringend benötige. Es ist mir auch aufgefallen, dass ich seit geraumer Zeit nicht mehr so richtig in den "Flow" kommen kann. Der Grund dafür sind glaube ich meine Sorgen. Diese fressen mich buchstäblich auf. Ich habe tatsächlich immer öfter das Gefühl, dass die Angst meine Seele frisst und ich irgendwann als leere Hülle enden werde. Auf der anderen Seite ist dann aber dieses Element in meinem Leben, welches es schafft mich glücklich zu machen. Es ist als wäre es ein Zauber. Es reicht oft so wenig. Es ist wie eine Welle an positiver Energie die mich dann erreicht.

    Was die Aussage betrifft, dass Wissenschaft nur Bullshit ist. Dazu kann ich nur sagen, dass ich solchen Menschen gar nicht mehr zuhöre. Ich bin der Meinung, dass Wissenschaft und Technik das Einzige ist, was die Menschheit retten kann/wird. Religiöse Fanatiker, Nein-Sager und rückwärtsgewandte Idioten haben in meiner Welt keine Daseinsberechtigung mehr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solche gedanken sind ganz normal. Eins ist aber klar- wenn du so weiter machst läufst du auf ein burnout zu. Man braucht eine gute work balance um nicht unterzugehen.
    ich hab aus ähnlichen gründen meinen job jetzt gewechselt. ich will mich nicht kaputt machen lassen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ich bin weit entfernt davon, dir irgendwas befehlen zu wollen, aber bitte hör auf damit, bevor es zu spät ist... such dir lieber etwas, was ein bisschen weniger Geld gibt, dich dafür aber nicht kaputt macht. Glaub mir, das ist es nicht wert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Es macht mich traurig, das zu lesen. Aber ganz ganz wichtig für ein "happy life" ist eine gesunde Work/Life Balance. Ich kann mir aber vorstellen, dass es gerade nicht einfach ist. Das kann man eine Weile lang durchprügeln, aber irgendwann macht weder Körper noch Geist da mit.
    "I feel bad for feeling bad about myself because it shouldn't matter how I look, only what I do." ist meiner Meinung nach Quatsch und eine Wunschvorstellung! Menschen sind oberflächlich und sie achten sehr auf das Aussehen des Anderen, wenn auch unbewusst und was noch wichtiger ist: du fühlst dich doch irgendwie besser und selbstbewusster, wenn du schöne Haare/Nägel/Schminke hast und das strahlst du wiederum aus und es wirkt sich auf die Stimmung und alles aus. Man sollte sich nie dafür schämen, gut aussehen zu wollen :)
    Was dich aufheitert ist natürlich schwer zu sagen, aber vielleicht ein Wochenende weit weg von allem, wegfahren wenn es möglich ist oder vielleicht ein schöner Ausflug irgendwohin? Mal etwas anderes sehen und durchatmen? :)
    Fühl dich jedenfalls gedrückt und das wird alles, das hoff ich sehr für dich :)

    ReplyDelete

Want to comment?
If you have no google+ account, you can use Open ID (for example with an URL of your twitter, homepage etc.)
Anonymous commenting is disabled, but feel free to contact me via ask.fm if you have no means of commenting here :)